2005-02-25

The thing about extremes

Oh my, here I just finished setting out the Deep Thoughts of Nebojša Bakarec on finding a «third way» between the extremes of democracy and fascism, when I see Dnevnik has a report on the reemergence of anarcho-syndicalism in Serbia.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, all right, I'm from Seattle, and there the people who know about it (most don't) are proud of the fact that the Wobblies pulled off a successful five-day general strike in 1919. If nothing else, it is a bit of our whole uniqueness taština. But the juxtaposition does sort of make the point that people who imagine that they are choosing between extremisms cannot really limit themselves to just two. I'll humbly suggest that it might be better to do real politics. Especially when you control the government.

No comments: