Good Sportsmanship Indicators:One of the images that appears frequently in the list is that of the "student-athlete." In that spirit, here Darko Miličić applies, in his explanation of his team's dismal performance, what he has learned in his courses on obstetrics:
- Respect for officials - student-athletes raise hand or arm to signal a foul.
- Student-athletes shake hands before and after the contest.
- Unsportsmanlike behavior violations are addressed appropriately.
- Inappropriate conduct by coaches has consequences.
- Appropriate recognition when competitor gets injured and is forced to leave the competition.
- Fans, coaches and student-athletes are held accountable for negative behavior.
- Fans are enthusiastic supporters of their teams but respectful to opposing teams and their supporters.
- There is a respect shown by all competitors for the opposing team.
- Gamesmanship by coaches or players is frowned upon.
The sporting life
The NCAA proposes the following nine indicators of "good sportsmanship" (their definition is hardly free of solipsism, but is nice and concrete):
Posted by Eric Gordy at 18:20