2005-05-01

Setting the Cambodian tribunal in motion

Certainly all of the readers here are familiar with the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia, under which cities were emptied and several hundred thousand "class enemies" liquidated. Estimates of the number of people killed cluster around 1.7 million, out of a population of 8 million. Count on the United Nations: within thirty years they have snapped into action and given the go-ahead for a tribunal to try those offenders that are still around.

Extensive documentation on the Cambodian genocide (or am I obligated to say "democide"? "politicide"?) is available in either eight or ten languages, depending on how you count, through Yale University's genocide studies program.

3 comments:

Katja R. said...

And just how long did they wait to do something like a trial? and here they are putting a time limit on how long the tribunal is going to last for the Balkans! jooooooj

Oh I finally doped out the stupid link thingie so I kept my word, you and Scissors are both on my list of linx

Eric Gordy said...

Hey! And you have a new look too, very modern and uncluttered, it's nice.

Katja R. said...

I didn't really like that look but my difficulties over where to put the linx made it necessary. I dislike intensely when things are made needlessly difficult and sadly that seems to be a feature of blogging.
For example I don't care for the color. I LIKED the parchement look. I don't like that it changes ALL of your blogs, I hve three on Blogspot. oh well.