2005-09-06

The wisdom of Barbara Bush: On hurricane victims

Courtesy of Atrios, here is what the president's mother had to say about people whose homes were destroyed in New Orleans, and who sought refuge in Houston:
"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)--this is working very well for them."

You can listen to Mrs Bush laughing at the "underprivileged" in an mp3 file provided by Mr Atrios.

Most people have probably heard the line from F. Scott Fitzgerald about how rich people are just like us, except they have more money. Not true: this unfeeling creature is not one bit like us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this last night. I listened to the MP3 link this morning. Someone better put Mommy back in the closet with the head of FEMA -- who's also been strabgely silent....

Bora Zivkovic said...

I am not a big TV watcher or radio listener, but I was so fortunate this week. First, I switched on the TV to see what's going on in NOLA and ONLY saw the Kanye West incident. Then, turning to NPR yesterday, I heard this infamous statement by B.Bush. How lucky is THAT?

Eric Gordy said...

Amazing stuff, that television! Apparently NBC cut out Kanye West's appearance from the West coast broadcast of the program. I don't have a link, but there was a comment in the LA Times.